This is just a reminder that multiple districts in which East Central Athletics competes in have a clear bag policy in place. The confirmed districts are NISD, NEISD, Comal ISD, and Judson ISD. At this time East Central ISD does not have a clear bag policy in effect. The traditional clear bag policy shared by many districts can be found below.
Clear Bag Procedure
- Clear bag procedure is only in effect at Canyon, Canyon Lake, and Smithson Valley High Schools.
- Clear bag procedure only applies to events held in the stadium, gymnasiums, and baseball and softball fields. It does not apply to the performing arts center at this time.
- If an elementary or middle school uses a high school stadium, gymnasiums, or baseball or softball fields for an event, the clear bag procedure IS still in effect.
- Small, hand-sized bags that don’t exceed 5.5” by 8.5” in size do not have to be clear.
- All bags, including clear, cannot exceed 12” by 6” by 12” in size.
- Exceptions to the size requirements and clear bag procedure only apply to diaper bags, medically necessary items, and media personnel items (with valid credentials) that have been thoroughly searched prior to admittance.
- Clear bags may only have ONE logo, that is not obstructing to contents. Printed or patterned clear bags will NOT be permissible.
- All bags are subject to be searched.
Does this procedure apply to elementary and middle schools?
No. However, should an elementary or middle school group be using one of the high school’s stadiums, gyms, or softball and baseball fields, the procedure will be in effect.
Will my clear bag be checked as well?
Yes, all bags will be inspected at the gate. Having a clear bag will make the inspection process go faster.
Where does the clear-bag procedure apply.
This procedure applies to Canyon High, Canyon Lake High, and Smithson Valley High School’s stadium, gyms, softball, and baseball fields.
What about the Performing Arts Center?
No. At this time the clear-bag procedure does not apply to events held at the high schools Performing Arts Centers (PAC).
What happens if a guest shows up at the gate with a bag that is not permitted?
Guests will not be allowed to enter the venue with a non-conforming bag. Guests will be asked to return items to their vehicle.
Are all purses prohibited?
No. Small clutch purses, with or without a handle or strap, no larger than 5.5″ x 8.5″ are permitted. Purses larger than this are not permitted.
What about diaper bags?
Exceptions will be made for diaper bags, but will need to be thoroughly checked prior to admittance. Diaper bags will not be allowed for guests without a child present.
Can fans bring stadium seats or chairbacks?
Fans are permitted to bring in their own stadium seats or chairbacks provided the seat does not have any pockets or zippers.
Why has this bag procedure been adopted?
This is about improving the overall safety of our guests. This proactive measure will enhance safety inside and outside the stadium, gymnasiums, softball, and baseball fields.
Are other school districts limiting bags?
Yes. In fact, several surrounding school districts have also adopted a similar clear-bag procedure including Austin, Judson, Hays, and Lake Travis school districts.
How does the new policy improve public safety?
The clear bag is easily and quickly searched. It also supports the Department of Homeland Security’s “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign.
How many bags may each person bring into the stadium?
One large clear bag — either a one-gallon clear resealable plastic bag or a 12” x 6” x 12” clear bag — plus a small clutch. The larger clear bag must be a standard 12” x 6” x 12” made of clear PVC vinyl and visually searchable. The small clutch allows privacy for small personal items and is also easily searched.
Can smartphones, tablets, binoculars or cameras be carried SEPARATELY from the clear bag?
Yes. Phones, cameras or binoculars may be carried in by hand. Cases for these items are not allowed.
If I have special medical equipment I need to have with me at all times, where do I put that?
An exception will be made for medical necessary items after proper inspection at designated areas.
Do I have to put everything I’m carrying into a permissible bag?
No. We are limiting only the type of bags carried into the venue, not items that you normally bring to a game. Therefore, you may carry items in your pockets or jacket (keys, makeup, feminine products, comb, phone, wallet, credit cards, etc.) if you choose not to put them in a clear bag or clutch.
Will clear bags be available for purchase?
Yes, school branded clear bags can be purchased by your high school’s athletic booster club.
Can I bring in a blanket?
Yes, but it will need to be inspected at the gate.